I haven't blogged for awhile, and I hope to get caught up soon with all of the fun last minute Summer activities that have kept us busy for the last couple of weeks, but I had to enter a quick post tonight while this was fresh on my mind. This is kind of a personal family experience, but since this is my family journal, I have to document it somewhere.
Deron and I have been planning to have a special family home evening and have him give Jeron & Kyler "Back to School" Father's blessings, but our nights kept getting eaten up by practices, end of summer play, etc... so this didn't happen before school started, but it was close enough.
Deron invited Jason, my little brother, over tonight to help him with his lesson. We first had a quick inspired message about prayer, because Kyler has been feeling too tired to pray at night lately. Then we talked about the importance of school and how we can make a difference in the lives of others at school. Jason is such a wonderful example to our boys of everything that is good. He was voted Student body President last year at MC and was awarded an Ambassador's scholarship at USU. I told the boys a story or two that I remembered about Jason reaching out to lonely friends way back when he was attending Providence Elementary. He continued this through high school. I loved to visit a school function and silently observe how everyone thought Jason was their great friend, and how he made the time to talk to everyone -- not just those in the "in crowd." I really want the boys to grasp some piece of his example. He explained to them that it's so important to work hard and do your best in school. He related school to sports to spark their attention. We talked about how even though it's great to dream, most kids don't go pro, so an education is very important. Thank you Jason, for sharing some time with us.
When the lesson was over, Deron proceeded to give Jeron and Kyler their blessings. He did such a great job. I could tell that he had put a great deal of thought and prayer into what he wanted to bless them with. The boys seemed touched, and it was a very positive, spiritual experience for our family. Just when we thought the night was over, our little two year old, Hayden ran and jumped up on the chair and folded his arms and closed his eyes. The spirit in the room suddenly got 10 times stronger and eyes filled with tears as Deron gave Hayden a very special impromptu Father's blessing. This experience is just a glimpse of the calm, peaceful spirit that Hayden has added to our home for the last almost three years. It also shows what an influence the big brothers have on his little mind. He didn't want to miss out on a chance to get a blessing like his brothers. He loves his "Bruddas." It's so cute to hear him pray for them and ask for them when they are away. They have really bonded this summer.
Thank you Deron, for being a worthy Priesthood holder and for presiding over our home in love and righteousness. The boys will never forget this Family Home Evening tonight.
16 years ago




5 comments:
hey neighbor!
that was a really neat story. thanks for sharing!
That's my buddy Deron. Thanks for being my best friend and a great example. You guys have a wonderful family. We're grateful to have you as friends.
That was so touching. Thank you so much for sharing. I got tears in my eyes when Hayden hopped up on the chair. It really is amazing to me how much the younger siblings look up to the bigger ones. Sometimes I think they can touch them and teach them more than we as parents can. I'm so glad that Jeron, especially, since he's the oldest, has Jason to look up to.
I have wondered where you've been. Cna't wait to hear all about it!
Ok this blogging thing is so fun but I find myself in tears too many times. That was really neat and even though you don't feel like you have enough timne to journal or blog, you will be so happy that you took the time to write these things down. A blessing at this time in their lives is a great idea.
Reading this and listening to "Angels among us" was very touching. How wonderful that your family is so neat and set such a good example for your boys. Be grateful for a functional family!
Deron was who our three older boys always looked up to when they were growing up. I think he is amazing and always knew he would be what he is and more.
Love you guys,
Post a Comment