Monday, September 1, 2008

- Back to School 2008 -

Back to School at the Hansen household has been titled a success after the first week. We went to back to school night the night before they started and met their teachers and mapped out their classrooms. This is a great way to ease the jitters on the first day. No one has run home from school yet (Kyler tried that last year during his Kindergarten orientation.), and everything seems to be running along smoothly. Hayden and I are a little lonely at home though. We go on daily walks, play with Champ (the dog), make cookies, run errands, etc.., but no matter how hard I try, I can't take the place of his "bruddas!"

Jeron's teacher is Mrs. Dattage, who has been like a second mom for me. She is in our ward now and was when I was growing up as well. Her daughters are my friends, and she was my Young Women leader. It's nice to know that he'll be well taken care of. He has a fun group of boys in his class and seems to be enjoying things, especially recess. He loves to meet up with all his buddies at recess and participate in the sport of the hour, whatever it might be. His clothes and shoes come home green with grass stains most days. He prefers to wear comfortable sports like clothing, but we compromise sometimes. He's not loving the homework, however. He asked me the other night if we could try home school, because he thinks it would be less work. I told him that I thought he'd miss his friends at school. His reply was, "No, I could just meet up with them after school." This will never happen. We have a hard enough time getting through the homework together, let alone a whole days worth of learning. Jeron likes to get his work done as fast as he can and get out to play. We're working on that. His favorite subject is math.

Kyler has Mrs. Gettman for 1st Grade. Her personality seems to be about the complete opposite of Kyler's, but I think it's true that opposites attract. She is so happy all of the time. I think her classroom environment will always be very positive. Like Kyler, she has so much energy. This will be great for Kyler, because she will keep him busy every minute. When we arrived home from back to school night, Kyler said, "My teacher is an old women with gray hair and she wears rainbow colored clothes." Those of you who know Kyler know that he is our little fashion consultant. Kyler had forgotten to take his button bag the other day, so I ran it over and she said, "Now Kyler, be sure and tell your mom thank you." I'm hoping that she has great success with teaching him to use his manners! Kyler is a quick learner and gets things done fast, when he's in the right mood. He is also loving recess. His great buddy, Dax Purser, is in his class, which makes going to school fun. Ky loves school lunch and recess. He especially loves it when his recess is at the same time as Jeron's so he can join in on the game of the hour. He was happy to report that he is the tallest one in his class, again!

3 comments:

Lindee said...

cute boys! maybe if addy wasn't such a girl they would have fun together! :)

Erica said...

Those are really fun pictures. It's so great that you are journaling so much. You'll be glad you did, because we are getting old and won't be able to remember as much.

Krysta said...

Sounds like they're off to a good start. I laughed about Jeron wanting to home school...that would last for about a day! I remember you telling me about Ky running home last year. I had nightmares about that this year with Jake. So far so good.