Monday, September 8, 2008

- A New Era begins for me! -

I got a call to work in the Young Women's Organization as a Mia Maid Advisor. Holy Cow! This is a calling that has always made me nervous. I don't have daughters. I'm not used to being around young women, & I'm nervous about teaching. Gone are the days when I pull my primary manual out on Sunday morning. This is going to be a lot more work. Tuesday night activities are going to be a new thing for me too. I'm filled with mixed emotions. I'm excited and scared at the same time. Last night we had a training meeting with the stake leaders. Things have really changed since I was a YW myself. Yesterday was my first Sunday with the girls, & luckily I didn't have to teach. I was so nervous for Leslie, who was teaching her first lesson. She did such a good job, but I was so frustrated that some of the girls were visiting and folding paper airplanes all the way through. How do you handle a situation like that? As a new leader, I want to be their friend, but at the same time, I also want their respect. I would love any pointers and/or tips with anything pertaining to Young Women's or just teenage girls in general.

5 comments:

Lindee said...

yikes! you will do amazing. as for any advice, good luck! i had the same issue when i was asst. camp director.

Krysta said...

Congrats Em! I'm excited for you. I'm going to call you right now!

Beeks by the Lake said...

I haven't taught YM but I did teach the 13 up to 15 year old Sunday school class. Two things that really worked:

Great object lessons

Sharing your testimony - when I did this, I told them I was and then I leaned in closer to them and looked them in the eyes.

And don't forget to pray that you will teach by the Spirit and they will receive it by the Spirit.

Other than that - GOOD LUCK!

Maya Simmons said...

Oh Emily... I can't wait to talk to you in California! As I was taking my girls home from our activity last night one girls says "Sister Simmons it against the law of chastity to ....?" Oh, I want to freeze my kids at the age they are right now!
Suzie

Erica said...

I'm not worried about you. You'll do great in that calling. I guess here is a chance to experience girls and decide if you really want one. :) Well I guess you shouldn't base that decision off of teenagers. I owe you babysitting so I'm here if you need a spot for Hayden or the boys.